April 23, 2008

Youth Sports

Courtney had her 1st softball game last night. She's in a league for 8 and under. We got her a glove on Monday and we were helping her learn to catch the ball yesterday afternoon and she was so excited for her 1st game. Before the game started and the girls were warming up, we heard parents getting mad at their 7 and 8 year old daughter's for not catching the ball. Um hello, they are 8 years old and never played before. Then we noticed Courtney was the only girl without cleats. Why does an 8 year old who has never played before need cleats. A good sneaker will work just as well at this age. I couldn't believe how competitive parents are about this 1st year of softball. I felt so bad for many of the other girls.
I played softball growing up and I was quite good and was apart of the junior olympic organization. I know what it means to be competitive but I know how to have fun and that's what I want to teach my girls. There can be a great balance with common sense and fun. I wish other parents felt the same way, then more of the team would enjoy this so much more.

Other than watching parents make fools of themselves, Courtney made it to bat twice and hit the ball both times. She made it on base both times. It's going to be fun watching her grow and learn. We bought her a bat last night so we can help her get better at hitting. She is sooo excited and didn't want me to wash her team shirt today...lol

5 comments:

Harwood said...

You can't wash out the good hitting smell!!!
~Shawn

Kermit~the~Frog said...

Cleats may be a league requirement. Scooter's league has full uniforms, he has to wear a cup, and he has to wear cleats. The fields here are astroturf and I'm sure the cleats help with grip. Thankfully you can buy them at Payless.

Glad she's enjoying it! Animal has a pink softball glove, it's a hoot.

Pamela said...

The cleats aren't even recommended..lol Britney's soccer recommends cleats but they aren't required. They aren't even requiring shin guards.
All these girls can barely catch balls and have to remember to run when they hit it. So its sad to see the parents get so upset. I think its fun to see them learn. Courtney hasn't let go of her glove today.

jen said...

Luckily we haven't had any really serious "soccer parents" on our soccer teams but I know it's just a matter of time. It's so much fun to cheer for your kids when they are on the field not yell at them! Hope your kids enjoy their sports!

Kermit~the~Frog said...

Oh, I'm sorry to hear the parents are getting upset. Our team parents are a pretty supportive bunch, wanting the team to do well but not getting angry when we don't.