September 16, 2008

The meeting with City Council

Well I was able to attend  a meeting with city council to discuss the zones and ordnance's of backyard chickens. I think overall it was successful. I feel maybe the city is complicating a bit more then needs be but I guess they are just trying to cover all bases.

I had with me copy of various city codes that allow chickens and  2 pages available to everyone on reasons why having backyard chickens is a good thing and  reasons to cover most all concerns about chickens. 
I answered all their questions and concerns and I hope at this point they realize that there is no reason why we shouldn't be able to keep chickens.
I will be at future meetings to continue the discussion. It looks like it will be several months before we have clarification on code. 

3 comments:

Rachel@ A Little Bit of Ray said...

So I was Shawn's roommate at BYU. I found your blog through hers and was wondering if you have any advice about Homeschooling. My daughter is only 9 months old but I figure the earlier I start the better. I would really appreciate any advice. My blog is jesseandrachelrobrtson.blogspot.com. Good Luck w/ your chickens.

Rachel

Company EIGHT said...

Good luck! I hope they decide in your favor. It certainly seems as though you were very well-prepared, and handled yourself very well. Can't wait to hear! Do you get to keep your chickens until they decide?

Pamela said...

yes, we can keep the chickens. I won't be surprised if it's not written into code until after the new year.