October 6, 2008

Hearing Loss

For the last several weeks, Britney has not been able to hear well at all. She has been saying "What" and can't hear when I'm talking to her. Also she keeps turning up the TV.

Many times she's thinking I'm saying something else than what I'm actually saying. It's been very frustrating for all of us.
Last week I made an appointment with an audiologist for a hearing test. The appointment was this morning.

The results are her tympanogram was flat lined meaning there should be peaks on the graph.
Her hearing test showed she's not hearing in the normal range at all. Then they did a hearing test by passing the area with the fluid and found she can hear when that part of the ear is stimulated.

So now I am waiting to call her ped to figure out the next step on getting the fluid out of her ears and once the fluid is gone we need to re do her hearing tests to make sure her hearing is back to normal.

The audiologist said it looked like her ears were pink which might indicate an infection which brings another set of problems since Britney is allergic mixed antibiotics. A compound mixture causes an allergic reaction so when she needs antibiotics, we usually have to admit her for IV antibiotics.

So hopefully we can get the fluid removed and she can start hearing everything again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hope you get it figured out soon.