August 29, 2008

Chicken updates

I emailed the mayor, all of city council and the SLC mayor because he recently told his city to review codes pertaining to self sufficient life style and change them to make them easier to raise chickens.

The Taylorsville mayor called me and I'm actually glad I missed his call because he left a message saying they are not enforcing code for chickens. The city council will meet and vote to change the code about keeping chickens.

I was sooo excited. I forwarded the message to Jeff's cell phone so he can tell the code officer that we can keep the chickens and we have proof from the Mayor!!

Now I never realized how important these chickens were to me until a couple days ago. I can't wait until Jeff finishes the coop so the chickens are safer, cleaner and easier to manage. They've been a good thing for our family and I don't see why having them are such a big deal. The are less annoying then dogs and far less annoying then outdoor cats. They keep bugs down and will fertilize a garden. They are super easy to take care of and are quite resistant to many diseases.

Backyard eggs are also much healthier. They contain 1/3 less cholesterol and are higher in nutrients.

I never thought I would enjoy raising chickens as much as I do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for you!! Can't wait to see what happens next.