August 28, 2008

Save the Chickens!!

When we moved here over 2 years ago, our neighbor across the street let there many dogs roam the neighborhood and they seemed to poop in our yard daily. I tried for 2 years to get them to stop with nothing but laughs and no respect. One day when their dogs discovered my backyard I walked over calmly(more so then I ever had been) and the owner wouldn't even acknowledge my existence. I decided then, that its way overdo for animal control to get involved.

I waited so long because I knew the heartache of a neighbor down the street who moved here from California with her 3 dogs and some teenager, with nothing better to do, called animal control that she had too many dogs. I saw her pain as she had to give up one of her family members.

Besides cleaning up poop, my 6 year old is extremely allergic to dogs. It's one of her most severe allergies. We can't have normal pets. Her allergist suggested getting chickens.I thought that was a fantastic idea.

So we as a family not only have pets but we have fresh eggs that are healthier and taste much better.

Today we received notice to remove our chickens by September 5th. We have argued code and the officer is not happy about us knowing code. So he's calling us back(so he can research) but we are armed and ready. We did get the chickens before city zoning was updated so we may win with that argument.

I'm so upset. Our neighbor's called on us because of retaliation and it's hurting our family. Our Hen's do not stink, we do not have a rooster and they stay in the coop. The chickens aren't harming anyone. I don't know what else to do . Our chickens bring joy and fresh eggs to each day.

I will find a way to keep them.

No comments: