August 18, 2008

A new allergy

On my birthday we went to Joe's Crab Shack for dinner. We figured since fish is a safe food for Britney, we would eat there so I could get crab for my b-day and Britney will be excited and safe with fish. While Jeff took Courtney and Britney to the bathroom, a balloon girl came around and asked Britney what she wanted. Of course she asked while my mouth was full of food and I couldn't say, "No, thanks."

I looked over later and noticed Britney's face was really red. I assumed it was something I wasn't aware of in the spices or something. My stomach dropped!! We assumed it had to be in the food. I wipe her face down because sometimes that helps and we hurried and finished up and left to Target because I of course didn't have any Benadryl on me.

In the car her face was starting to look better.

We get to Target and her face was worse and realized it was from her balloon she was wearing again on her head. We head straight for the pharmacy and grab the medicine. The Pharmacist agrees it looks like a latex allergy. I called the restaurant later that night to confirm the balloons are latex. The Benadryl worked fine and I'm sad to add another allergy to her long list but looking back, it really shouldn't surprise me. If her skin touches anything remotely allergy related, she breaks out.

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Poor thing. I know it's no comparison but when I was about 6 months pregnant with Elliott I broke out in a severe rash from head to toe that lasted for about three weeks. I had developed an allergy to Tide (something that i'd always used). Now I just randomly break out in rashes sometimes.

Heather said...

I am so sorry! You probably know this, but there are several other things that you have to avoid if you have a latex allergy. My daughter can not eat bananas, eggs or tomatoes because of the proteins in them are similar to the latex.
Here is a list I have from my DRs office
Balloons
Condoms and diaphragms
Rubber bands
Shoe soles
Erasers
Toys


Sports equipment
Carpet backing
Feeding nipples and pacifiers
Clothing, including elastic on underwear
Food handled with powdered latex gloves
Handles on racquets, tools
Diapers, sanitary and incontinence pads
Computer mouse pads
Buttons on electronic equipment


Persons with an atopic history or history of food allergy (cross-reacting proteins, especially in banana, avocado, passion fruit, chestnut, kiwi fruit, melon, tomato, celery)


best of luck.
Heather
NY

Unknown said...

Heather, I went to send you a PM on the message board and you weren't there. I don't have any contact info for you.
It makes sense about diapers. She always broke out no matter what. She's the reason we switched to cloth diapers
"lightbulb moment" she has this rash under her lip. I bet its from her eraser.

Heidi said...

Darn it! That's too bad...

Always something, isn't there?!?!?

(((hugs)))

Heather said...

I am not sure why I am not allowed on the board or what happened. I don't think I said anything wrong. Ummm hmmmm my computer crashed again so maybe DH "cleaned things" up.
anyhoo
here is my junk email address. Email me there and I will give you my gmail addy
hmwilliamsathotmaildotcom
change @ and .