May 10, 2009

Sugar Free

I'm going to keep a diary of my journey of being sugar free. _______________________________________ This week my blood sugars were out of control. I feel weak, tired, frustrated and all I wanted to do was lay in bed. Apparently I'm hypoglycemic. Thursday night I researched most the night about sugar and I knew I had to get rid of refined sugar out of my diet. I had no idea how much sugar I was eating everyday. If I didn't have eggs and white toast(sugar) in the morning I ate Life cereal with sugar on top. Snacks were fruit snacks(sugar), chips, or cookies. Lunch wasn't too bad because it was usually leftovers but we drank kool-aid often or soda and I would snack on cereal throughout the day whenever I needed a little pick me up. After dinner when everyone was asleep I loved to snack on frosted mini wheats while doing homework or surfing the internet. Foods like hotdogs and ketchup are loaded with sugar. Even Doritos have sugar. It's been an eye opener. I'm glad I've finally learned what I thought my "not too bad" diet was actually loaded with sugar. DAY 1: Friday I forced myself to find energy to make some fried eggs w/ multi grain toast and orange juice. I noticed even though I was still fatigued, I wasn't as bad as the day before. Lunch I ate ham sandwich w/lettuce and mustard on multi grain bread. Dinner was tacos. I normally put ketchup on my tacos and skipped it. My snacks throughout the day was oranges, bananas and grapes. The oranges were HEAVEN!! To satisfy my sweet tooth, I found some Basken Robbins sugar free candy that is sooo good. It's called cookies n cream and it hits the spot. That night at work they provided all the employees with sandwiches, cookies and soda and I felt good that I was able to pass it up. 2 days prior I would have been all over it. My weakness in snacks will be potato chips...lol DAY 2: Saturday I felt even better though still tired, I could at least clean without feeling overwhelmingly fatigued. I made egg on toast w/multi grain bread, hash browns, and bacon for breakfast. Oranges and bananas kept me held over until lunch when I had a chicken salad w/tomatoes. I had a meeting for a movie I'm working on and there was doughnuts, cookies, brownies, starbucks and more. Again, if it was a few days earlier, I would have been all over it ;-) So I was proud that I was strong enough to know, my body needs better. Snacking on fruit throughout the day is a lot easier than I thought it would be. It really holds me over and I had enough energy to finish my garden and get the house clean for friends coming over. We had steak on the grill and watermelon. Chips and dip were my nemesis but at least they didn't have sugar in them. DAY 3: Mother's Day, I enjoyed breakfast in bed w/ french toast made w/ multigrain bread and real maple syrup that does not contain sugar(seriously sooooo good). I actually just barely dip my french toast in the syrup so I really don't even use much syrup at all. I also had some scrambled eggs with it for protein. Because my eggs are from my own chickens, I know they are much healthier then store bought eggs and my cholesterol has actually gone down since eating more eggs. So I'm not concerned about eating eggs most mornings. I did buy some Kashi cereal that is sugar free but its quite expensive and I will eat on mornings I am rushed for time. It's now 10 am so I will make sure I will go get a snack of some fruit. I make sure I eat something every 1-2 hours to keep my energy up. I'm not sure what I'm having for lunch yet, but I do plan on making lasagna for dinner. We plan to visit Jeff's mom this afternoon and I need to make sure I have snacks and food for me. If I don't eat every 1-2 hours I get ornery and after 4 hours I really get shaky. I had no idea my years of sugar have really done a number on my body and I look forward to living a healthier life.


1 comment:

canohappiness said...

Good for you taking care of your health and making those changes. We have changed here so much as well and dont use refined anything in our home. I never thought Id be so organic and grainy and meatless, but we are and are loving it!! Congrats to you!